Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Traveling

A week ago at this time, Matt and I were packing suitcases. Hannah paced anxiously – she is one smart pup, and learned long ago what suitcases meant. I tried telling her, “Hannah, you’ll get to go with me on this trip, I promise!” but I don’t think she believed me. I imagine that when V and I left on Tuesday morning in one packed car, and Matt left shortly after in another packed car, she was pretty worried indeed.

I also sarcastically advised Hannah, “it’s a reaallllyyy long drive. Think you can handle it?” Well, of course she could handle it … this drive is one she does all the time! While Matt was headed to Madison, WI, to photograph the cyclocross national championships, the girls and I were headed for a several days’ stay at my parents’ house. Halfway through the day on Tuesday, my parents went to our house to pick up the pups for their “trip.”


My parents invited us when they learned I had one night meeting (they were babysitting V that night), and because when Matt travels they help take care of the dogs – either spending time each day at our house or bringing the dogs back to their house to give them a break from ten-hour stints in the kennels. Our house is far enough away that the drive is an inconvenience for both of us. Our dogs are sooo spoiled (as am I), but I don’t think they fully realize it (I however, do). Staying at my parents’ meant homecooked dinners, adult company, and help getting V ready in the morning. It was very weird not staying at our house, especially when I went mid-week to check on things, when the lonely house reminded me that I have never been there completely by myself before. But I was very thankful to be at my parents’ when I got a touch of the stomach flu. And on Friday night when I fell asleep with my dad rubbing my feet on the couch. V enjoyed grandparent time too. On Wednesday when my dad went with me to get her from daycare, she wanted grandpa instead of mommy.


To keep Matt updated, I sent him the following report on Thursday morning:

This is the daily Moses Girls Report for January 5, 2012.

Jenn reports being able to keep down toast and a renewed interest in coffee ... which means she is definitely feeling better. Her boss is back in the office, and she is hard at work scheduling an upcoming public meeting. She is really looking forward to an afternoon walk in the sunshine and pancakes or waffles for dinner tonight.

Piper slept all night curled up on the bed, jumping off and running to the door every time someone got up in the middle of the night. She is committed to continuing her normal workday routine even while at Grandma and Grandpa's house. After a run outside and a hearty breakfast, she promptly went to work ... snoozing on the couch. She was pretty tired after wrestling with Grandpa Doug last night, after all. She did try to convince Mom to take her somewhere fun, but that request was denied.

Hannah is reportedly spending the day patrolling the kitchen. She is stationed to the spot on the rug under the dining room table, vigilantly on duty. She would like Dad to know that she and Piper proudly guarded the house from the newspaper boy at 0400 hours.

Victoria reported to duty early -- 0612, to be exact -- waking the other girls too. She drank all her bottle and helped Grandma get her dressed, but failed at the attempt to steal some of mommy's toast. She promised to play hard at day care today.

This is the end of the Moses Girls Report for January 5, 2012.

Saturday morning, the girls and I went home. It took me the whole weekend simply to unpack suitcases, do laundry, and grocery shop for the upcoming week. Sunday afternoon, V and I, joined by Uncle Adam, went to swimming lessons. It was fun to watch her launch herself off the pool wall into the water without any hesitation or fear.


I think my favorite moment of the weekend was Sunday morning. V woke up and I went in to get her. When she saw me, though, she did a 180 and flopped down on her crib mattress crying. I couldn’t figure out why she didn’t want me to pick her up. After I fixed her a bottle I brought her into our bedroom and laid her in the middle of the bed. She looked at me and then started patting daddy’s pillow. I said, “yes, that’s daddy’s pillow,” and when I said “daddy” her eyes grew bright and she scanned the room. I’m sure she missed her daddy.


Over five race days in Madison, Matt took 8940 photos and walked 36 miles. Here he is hard at work. All his pictures can be seen on his blog.


I’ll speak for Matt when I say I think the whole Moses family is happy to be home!

No comments: